You know what your child likes, and it may be enough to serve your child’s healthy and favorite dinner, whether that’s pizza with vegetable toppings or meatloaf. Make it more fun by serving it on holiday-themed plates, or inviting your child’s best buddies to join the meal–most parents will appreciate the effort you’re putting into getting a healthy meal into their child before the candy starts.
You can also try (both for lunch or dinner) sandwiches, fruit, and vegetables cut with Halloween-themed cookie cutters. Chili is another great idea.
Whether there are young children in your family or not, try this fun recipe for Jack-O’-Lantern Stuffed Peppers and invite some friends or neighbors to celebrate with you. It’s perfect for a family dinner, or to bring along to a Halloween potluck.
Jack-O’-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
6 bell peppers, (orange or yellow)
1 lb. ground beef
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 small onion, chopped
1 small tomato, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
3 T. Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 baking dish.
- Combine ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, onion, tomato, garlic, chili sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper and mix lightly in a bowl.
- Wash peppers, and cut fun jack-o’-lantern faces into the peppers with a sharp paring knife.
- Slice off the tops of the peppers and scoop out the seeds and cores.
- Stuff the peppers lightly with the beef stuffing, and place them onto the baking dish so they lean against each other.
- Bake until peppers are tender and the stuffing is cooked through and juicy, approximately 1 hour.